Monday, December 14, 2009

So... Avatar?

Most folks inhabiting The Realm have certainly heard tell or scene the previews of the upcoming Avatar movie. I believe it's out in theaters this weekend.

A synopsis (warning: some spoilers) from IMBD is here. A little bit more brief plot summary I pulled off the Web without the spoilers would be: a crippled ex-Marine is chosen to make contact with the mysterious people as a remotely controlled avatar.

James Cameron, writer and director of other sci-fi flicks such as The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Abyss, Aliens -- some of which I'd rate as classics -- writes, produces, and directs this film. And then, of course, he also is an Oscar winner for his efforts on Titanic. Early reviews for Avatar seem positive enough, and as far as special effects, there have been some reviews that are off the charts.

Personally, on one hand, this movie is one I'm somewhat looking forward to and certainly plan to see, but my expectations haven't been that high, for whatever reason. Back in the day, I sort of felt the same way about Aliens going into the movie, and lo and behold I was blown away, as Aliens is one of my all time favorite movies. One of the cool factors in Aliens was the characterizations of the marine outfit involved, and marines are used again in Avatar, so I've got a feeling Cameron will do well there. Also, I give high marks for the appearance of the alien race, the Na'vi, employed in Avatar.

Perhaps, I'm lost in my own world, but I just haven't heard the word of mouth at work, church, in the community, etc. on this film. Of course, I've seen a few promotionals and a trailer, but it's not like Spider-Man IV is coming out.

What about you guys and gals? What's the word you're hearing? And what are your thoughts on Avatar? Anyone dying to be there the first night? Anyone thinking, "I'll just skip this one"? I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on this one. I'd like to be psyched up!

6 comments:

Diabolical Genius said...

I've been on the fence, but I think I want to see it just because I'm jonesing to see a fantasy movie.

DougALug said...

I'm on the fence on this one too. I really need a good movie!

BTW I liked the Fantastic Mr. Fox a lot!

-Doug

Anonymous said...

I want to see it for sure! The animation looks cool, the story sounds interesting

and

it reminds me of a book I read over the summer. "The Old Man's War" by John Scalzi was a cool read and I've heard some compare the two stories. I'll watch and judge for myself.

WandaV

Rich said...

Alright, Avatar comes out today.

Please share any thoughts if you see it this opening weekend!

Rich said...

Saw it tonight - liked it a lot!

DougALug said...

Saw it today... I thought it was incredible (IMAX 3D rocks!).

Good plot, better special effects. Great backdrop.

God Bless
Doug