Saturday, August 08, 2009

Non-Humans Banned from Reading This Post!

Anyone else looking forward to District 9 coming out next Friday? A little bit about the plot and marketing campaign is contained at Wikipedia. The film's major selling point for me is that Peter Jackson, the director of the super LOTR epic trilogy, the executive producer and writer of the coming The Hobbit and The Hobbit 2, executive producer of the upcoming Halo movie, and writer/director of the latest King Kong, is producing it. District 9 is based on a short film, Alive in Joburg, and it will be directed by Neill Blomkamp, who wrote and directed the short.

Early returns at Rotten Tomatoes look good with 10 out of 10 positive reviews, but I say that with all caution. Last week, prior to G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra being released, that film also had a very positive 9 out of 10 fresh rating. After being released, it's now 38% fresh, in other words, rotten. On the imbd Official Review Thread, it's even more heartening, with 28 positive reviews, 1 mixed, and 0 negative.

I've enjoyed the trailers I've seen on TV, and the premise is very appealing to me. Being one of the last summer movies... well, that's a little disturbing. I don't think there are a lot of recognizable actors/actresses on this one, but that doesn't bother me. Regardless of the reviews, I plan on seeing this one -- not G.I. Joe, though. District 9 seems to have a little more to it, especially using South Africa, with it's Aparteid history, as the site where the aliens have been quarantined.

Got my fingers crossed. Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

3 comments:

DougALug said...

Looks good to me! Why don't you come over and we'll go skip work and see it together! ~8(|)

doh!

God Bless
-Doug

Rich said...

15 out of 15 now certifiably FRESH at Rotten Tomatoes. I'm getting a better feeling!

Rich said...

Looks like District 9 has settled in at 88% at Rotten Tomatoes, which means it's Certified Fresh. After the first weekend, the total number of reviews was 156, with 137 positive and 19 negative.

Can't wait to see it!