Sunday, February 26, 2006

Go Get 'Em Champ!

Guess who's back in the news? Lake Champlain's "Champ" has been "caught" on digital camera and tape by two respectable fishermen, meaning they aren't just crackpots looking for their 15 minutes of fame (examples of such crackpots would be Ken and me continuing this blog). However, their tape, although apparently authentic as verified by the FBI, doesn't show near as much as their story tells. ABC News has a write-up and a taped report on the story, and you can get to it here.

According to those whacky scientists that we here in The Realm just love to pieces:

Crypto-zoologists think the creature may be a plesiosaur, a large underwater reptile not seen since prehistoric times.

What to make of Champ? Unsolved Mysteries has reported on it. Hundreds of sightings have been documented. Could all these people be mistaken? Of course they could. But are they? Here are some other sites that care:

The Shadowlands

Genesis Park

Strangemag.com

Cryptozoology.com

On the other hand, there is the Skeptical Inquirer's debunking.

We'll keep up with the Champ story and let you know if there are further developments. Why? Because Ken truly does care about this kind of stuff, and when I post on it, well, it always makes him feel proud. And I do what I can to make others feel good.

Oh, and please let us know about any vacations you've had to Lake Champlain and your own respective Champ sightings.



3 comments:

Diabolical Genius said...

The cockles of my heart are somewhat warmed. No doubt.

I had seen this article last week but didn't post because I underestimated the amount of Realm fervor that would be caused by this news.

But a plesiosaur? Please.

It looks like an aquatic okapi with a unicorn and a sasquatch riding piggy-back from where I'm sitting.

A plesiosaur, what a hoot!

Rich said...

I think I can speak for the rest of The Realm in saying that we'd all appreciate it if you'd keep your cockles to yourself.

Thank you in advance.

Rich said...

Um, btw, I'm not sure at all that you "underestimated" The Realm's fervor at this news. Looks like you may have estimated it right on the nose.

And you're smart that way in that you let me look like the MOW-RON talking about dinosaurs existing and whatnot.

Well, when one of your thunderbirds flies over the Pentagon and everyone sees it, I'm not posting on it. Not one word!