Wednesday, March 08, 2006

After All You've Done For Me - SQOTW

Missed the song quote yesterday, so I'll hit it today. Don't have a lot of time so I'll get right to it.

to live inside these ruins
where you move without a sound
oh to live inside this skin again
die outside your town
oh to break forth into sonnets
oh Lord keep me coming back
oh the stories that you tell your head
to keep your heart intact

you don't lose don't lose
no pieces will you ever lose
after all you've done for me
it's the least i could do for you

-- After All You've Done For Me, Bill Mallonee from the CD Fetal Position

These lyrics have a lot of different meanings thrown into them. Death -- and the "to die outside of your town" line definitely touches on Jesus' crucifixion on Golgotha outside of Jerusalem --and rebirth, praise and renewal, and faith highlight the verse. Personally, I love the "to break forth into sonnets, oh Lord, keep me coming back" because there are many times in my life when I want to just praise or thank God for something out of the blue, but those "many" don't make a whole lot of my life, truth to tell. I need the Holy Spirit to remind me to keep my mind on Christ, keep thinking about His goodness and His greatness. To return to Him again and again, in thanksgiving and praise, both in the good times and bad.

But the chorus really brings the song home for me. If you listen to all the lyrics, you'll hear about convictions getting overturned, doubt about yourself and about God, and about how nothing in this world can set you free. Then, there's that line: You don't lose, don't lose -- no pieces will you ever lose. John 10: 27-29 states: My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. That's what I think this part of the chorus alludes to. Jesus isn't losing any pieces, the pieces being believers -- his sheep. And how awesome is that for the person who abides in Christ? Really, nothing could be better.

The rest of the chorus speaks to God's sacrifice and beyond for us, and our response.

Just another cool, cool song with excellent lyrics from Mallonee. But then, I could say that about most all of them, couldn't I? Or wouldn't I? One or the other.

No comments: