Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Isn't It About Time for the Song Quote of the Week?

As much as I might poke fun of these posts in others that I do, they really are my favorites. No one else's apparently, but they're mine. So, just skip 'em if you don't like 'em, but by the same token, expect 'em, week after ever-lovin' week. I love these lyrics as they're so close to my heart:

yeah today i'm sick of all i am
today is my setback
first i swear i love You
then i stab You in the back
i wanna drink out of that fountain
on a hill called double cure
i wanna show You my allegiance Lord
yes i wanna be a son of Yours

-- Double Cure, from the V.O.L. CD (which is sort of like a Best of... CD with a few newbies thrown in)

This song actually was nominated for a Dove Award. It was beat out by the Bleach number, Epidermis Girl, which simply goes to show life isn't fair, even under the best of circumstances, and the best doesn't always win. Nonetheless, I'll take Double Cure over a hundred Epidermis Girls.

The "first I swear I love You, then I stab You in the back" line rings so true with me. How many times do I tell Christ I love Him and then show that love by my disobedience? "If you love me, obey my commandments." That sounds familiar to my ear, but the "stabbing Him in the back" sounds familiar to my heart.

Then, the chorus kicks in. I do want to show Him I love Him. More than anything -- ANYTHING -- I want to be a son of Yours. Romans Chapter 7, Romans Chapter 7, Romans Chapter 7. The war with my flesh. A war I've already lost. A war Christ has already won.

Double Cure is a reference (from the old spiritual Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me -- as opposed to the Def Leppard Rock of Ages tune) to being cleansed from sin's guilt and power. With Christ, I'm free of it all. For some reason, though, it doesn't want to let go. It rises up with its siren calls, and I have to make a choice. Time and again. And I can cling to the Lord, or fail, and many times I do (many more times than I cling, I'm afraid). But I pick myself back up, say, "Jesus is Lord," and resolve to turn back and walk with Him.

I love the last lines of the song's verse, which I'll leave you with:

ask me why i love Him
He gave riches to this poor
yes and i will one day see that face
over yonder shore

No comments: