Thursday, January 19, 2006

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times

What are some of your favorite first lines of books? Since I mainly read kid's fiction/YA, the one's I'll list will be from there. Here's a few I think are GRRRRRRR-EAT!!!

1) All children, except one, grow up. -- Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie

2) There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb and he almost deserved it. -- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C.S. Lewis

3) We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck. -- Feed, M.T. Anderson

4) 'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. -- A Visit from Saint Nicholas, C. Clement Moore

5) It was a pleasure to burn. -- Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

6) Call me Ishmael. -- Moby Dick, Herman Melville

7) "Where's Pa going with that axe?" -- Charlotte's Web, E.B. White

If more come, I'll add them. What are some of your favorites?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Marley was dead, to begin with." (from A Christmas Carol)

"The other problem I had was that I was falling in with my best friend, Gretchen, who I thought the rest of the world considered fat." (first line from Joe Meno's Hairstyles of the Damned)

Diabolical Genius said...

Some of my favorites:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. -- Genesis, God/Moses

It was a dark and stormy night. -- A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle

This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it. -- The Princess Bride, William Goldman

The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. -- The Westing Game, Ellen Raskin

Mr. Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth-- a fluffy, feathery, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly, good-natured, but absolutely centered upon his own silly self. -- The Lost World, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day. -- The Cat in the Hat, Dr. Seuss

He was the ugliest, most evil-looking man I'd ever seen. -- The Printer's Devil, Paul Bajoria

I have no intention of explaining how the correspondence which I now offer to the public fell into my hands. -- Preface to The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis

And last, but certainly not least:

Once, back in the days of legend, folklore, and rhyme, a peaceful kingdom known as Summerhaven existed. -- Crown of the Summerhavens (original version), Pearce & Story

"Watch it, man!" -- Stick a Dork in Me, I'm Done, Pearce & Story