Saturday, January 28, 2006

Nanny, nanny not a boo-boo

Went to see Nanny McPhee today and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was one of the movies that I listed in my earlier post, Movies to Look Forward To? . So, check number two off that list. You'll notice if you reread that post that I gave Hoodwinked a sort of blah rating in the comments, but I found Nanny McPhee delightful.

The screenplay was written by Emma Thompson but was based on the Nurse Matilda books by Christianna Brand, a now deceased British author (who seems to have specialized in crime fiction) and had elements of fairy tales with a twist of Mary Poppins. I haven't read the books, but I'll probably look for them now.

As I indicated in my comments to the post Lately, I've Been Moved that Rich did, I do generally like Emma Thompson features. And I liked Colin Firth a lot in the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice, The Importance of Being Earnest and some of his other work. There were also good performances by Angela Landsbury, Celia Imrie (who's had quite a career in British film and TV), and Kelly McDonald (who is apparently married to Dougie Payne, bassist for the group Travis mentioned in the comments to Rich's Raindrops post).

Maybe I was just predisposed to liked it, but I believe Nanny may be one of those under-the-radar movies that finds a place in my heart and provides enjoyment as I rewatch it again and again through the years. It is done in an understated British film way, so don't expect a blockbuster, but I would highly recommend seeing it.

No comments: